We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A city in Mississippi.
(PF-20: dp. 1,264; 1 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20
k.; cgl. 190; a. 3 3"; cl. Tacoma)
Gulfport (PF-20), a frigate, was launched 21 August 1943 by the American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio; sponsored by Mrs. John C. Chambers; and commissioned at Gulfport Miss. 16 September 1944, Comdr. G. A. Knudsen, USCG command.
Gulfport underwent shakedown at Bermuda, B.NV.I., and then returned to Norfolk for training 2 December 1944. The frigate was soon active as a convoy escort, however, departing with her first convoy from Norfolk to Oran Algeria, 18 December. She continued on this vital duty between Algeria and the United States until N E day.
Scheduled for conversion to a weather ship, Gulfport entered New York Navy Yard 5 July 1945. Upon completion, she was assigned to the Pacific Fleet, sailing via the Panama Canal and Pearl Harbor to her new home port of Adak, Alaska, where she arrived 16 September 1945. Gulfport performed weather duties so singularly important in the movements of both ships and aircraft in the Pacific area until decommissioning 28 May 1946 at Seattle. Her name was struck from the Navy List 19 June 1946 and she was sold to Zidell Ship Dismantling Co. for scrap 13 November 1947 at Seattle.
The Five Deadliest Fighter Pilots in U.S. Military History
Military.com has teamed up with PeopleMaven, a startup that creates lists of amazing people, to answer the question: Who are the deadliest fighter pilots in U.S. military history?
Since many activities of current U.S. military pilots are classified, we only considered those with unclassified activities. We started from our list of our list of 30 amazing pilots in U.S. military history, then factored in pilots with confirmed air-to-air kills. Finally, we ranked the fighter pilots from most confirmed kills to least.
Here, then, is our take on the five deadliest fighter pilots in U.S. military history:
The United States Congress carved the present-day state of Mississippi out of the vast Mississippi Territory in 1817. In the early 19th century, small boatyards existed along the entire Mississippi Gulf Coast. They manufactured and repaired barges and flat-bottomed schooners suitable to the waters of the region. On the Pascagoula River, the Ebenezer Clark Shipyard, north of Moss Point, constructed such vessels, and in addition, records list the repair of some two hundred vessels. Accounts also reveal that Clark Shipyard and Krebs Boatyard, one of the area’s oldest, constructed many small boats and schooners.
In the mid- to late 19th century, the catboat was built and used extensively along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Catboats were small, wooden fishing boats with a flat bottom, double sails, and could accommodate two fishermen. During the off-season, catboat races often occurred the first races happened in 1874 in Pascagoula, then a small village on the Pascagoula River and Mississippi Sound. A famous catboat was the Royal Flush , built by Captain Willie Johnson in 1889. Because Captain Johnson constructed her so well, the Royal Flush did not lose a race in thirty-four years.
The First Casino
The steamship burned and sank and the railroad went to far-off St. Petersburg instead. So Disston City remained isolated from the rest of the world and never fulfilled the dreams of its founder.
Veteran City (designed to attract Civil War veterans) was another grand idea that never made it much beyond the dreaming and platting stage. It remained for a trolley line, a dock, and a way station cum dance hall and “spa” to put Gulfport on the map.
The trolley line came from St. Petersburg, built by Frank Davis as an extension of that city’s system. Since the idea was to connect to boats that would carry passengers to the increasingly popular Pass-A-Grille, a 700-foot dock was built out into the bay and electrified and lighted (thus, “the electric dock”). Trolleys rolled down what is now Beach Boulevard and all the way to the end of the dock, where passengers could practically step right onto the boats.
The dock was completed in 1905 and, the following year, a way station and ticket office opened on the east side of the tracks out near the far end. The building contained a Post Office and a refreshment stand and shop that sold postcards, shells and other souvenirs as well as tobacco, candy and soft drinks. There was also an apartment for the couple who ran the place, and an open-air pavilion on the second floor with a dance floor and a stage.
It was known variously as The Casino, the Gulf Casino and, sometimes, as the “Dock and Spa.” That last designation, according to Doris Brown in Our Story, comes from a sign on the trolley identifying its destination. By any name, the place became a popular attraction on its own.
That first Casino was also an important meeting place. The founding fathers gathered there when deciding to incorporate Gulfport in 1910. The First United Methodist Church, now at 28th and 53rd, met there in the beginning. It wasn’t just about dancing.
But for 15 years, the first Casino made Gulfport popular. The trolley made transportation available. Together, they stimulated growth in this once tiny fishing and agricultural village.
History of Lent
What are the origins of Lent? Did the Church always have this time before Easter?
Lent is a special time of prayer, penance, sacrifice and good works in preparation of the celebration of Easter. In the desire to renew the liturgical practices of the Church, The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy of Vatican Council II stated, "The two elements which are especially characteristic of Lent &mdash the recalling of baptism or the preparation for it, and penance &mdash should be given greater emphasis in the liturgy and in liturgical catechesis. It is by means of them that the Church prepares the faithful for the celebration of Easter, while they hear God's word more frequently and devote more time to prayer" (no. 109). The word Lent itself is derived from the Anglo-Saxon words lencten, meaning "Spring," and lenctentid, which literally means not only "Springtide" but also was the word for "March," the month in which the majority of Lent falls.
Since the earliest times of the Church, there is evidence of some kind of Lenten preparation for Easter. For instance, St. Irenaeus (d. 203) wrote to Pope St. Victor I, commenting on the celebration of Easter and the differences between practices in the East and the West: "The dispute is not only about the day, but also about the actual character of the fast. Some think that they ought to fast for one day, some for two, others for still more some make their 'day' last 40 hours on end. Such variation in the observance did not originate in our own day, but very much earlier, in the time of our forefathers" (Eusebius, History of the Church, V, 24). When Rufinus translated this passage from Greek into Latin, the punctuation made between "40" and "hours" made the meaning to appear to be "40 days, twenty-four hours a day." The importance of the passage, nevertheless, remains that since the time of "our forefathers" &mdash always an expression for the apostles &mdash a 40-day period of Lenten preparation existed. However, the actual practices and duration of Lent were still not homogenous throughout the Church.
Lent becomes more regularized after the legalization of Christianity in A.D. 313. The Council of Nicea (325), in its disciplinary canons, noted that two provincial synods should be held each year, "one before the 40 days of Lent." St. Athanasius (d. 373) in this "Festal Letters" implored his congregation to make a 40-day fast prior to the more intense fasting of Holy Week. St. Cyril of Jerusalem (d. 386) in his Catechectical Lectures, which are the paradigm for our current RCIA programs, had 18 pre-baptismal instructions given to the catechumens during Lent. St. Cyril of Alexandria (d. 444) in his series of "Festal Letters" also noted the practices and duration of Lent, emphasizing the 40-day period of fasting. Finally, Pope St. Leo (d. 461) preached that the faithful must "fulfill with their fasts the Apostolic institution of the 40 days," again noting the apostolic origins of Lent. One can safely conclude that by the end of the fourth century, the 40-day period of Easter preparation known as Lent existed, and that prayer and fasting constituted its primary spiritual exercises.
Of course, the number "40" has always had special spiritual significance regarding preparation. On Mount Sinai, preparing to receive the Ten Commandments, "Moses stayed there with the Lord for 40 days and 40 nights, without eating any food or drinking any water" (Ex 34:28). Elijah walked "40 days and 40 nights" to the mountain of the Lord, Mount Horeb (another name for Sinai) (I Kgs 19:8). Most importantly, Jesus fasted and prayed for "40 days and 40 nights" in the desert before He began His public ministry (Mt 4:2).
Once the 40 days of Lent were established, the next development concerned how much fasting was to be done. In Jerusalem, for instance, people fasted for 40 days, Monday through Friday, but not on Saturday or Sunday, thereby making Lent last for eight weeks. In Rome and in the West, people fasted for six weeks, Monday through Saturday, thereby making Lent last for six weeks. Eventually, the practice prevailed of fasting for six days a week over the course of six weeks, and Ash Wednesday was instituted to bring the number of fast days before Easter to 40. The rules of fasting varied. First, some areas of the Church abstained from all forms of meat and animal products, while others made exceptions for food like fish. For example, Pope St. Gregory (d. 604), writing to St. Augustine of Canterbury, issued the following rule: "We abstain from flesh, meat, and from all things that come from flesh, as milk, cheese and eggs."
Nevertheless, I was always taught, "If you gave something up for the Lord, tough it out. Don't act like a Pharisee looking for a loophole."
Second, the general rule was for a person to have one meal a day, in the evening or at 3 p.m.
These Lenten fasting rules also evolved. Eventually, a smaller repast was allowed during the day to keep up one's strength from manual labor. Eating fish was allowed, and later eating meat was also allowed through the week except on Ash Wednesday and Friday. Dispensations were given for eating dairy products if a pious work was performed, and eventually this rule was relaxed totally. (However, the abstinence from even dairy products led to the practice of blessing Easter eggs and eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday.)
Over the years, modifications have been made to the Lenten observances, making our practices not only simple but also easy. Ash Wednesday still marks the beginning of Lent, which lasts for 40 days, not including Sundays. The present fasting and abstinence laws are very simple: On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, the faithful fast (having only one full meal a day and smaller snacks to keep up one's strength) and abstain from meat on the other Fridays of Lent, the faithful abstain from meat. People are still encouraged "to give up something" for Lent as a sacrifice. (An interesting note is that technically on Sundays and solemnities like St. Joseph's Day (March 19) and the Annunciation (March 25), one is exempt and can partake of whatever has been offered up for Lent.
Nevertheless, I was always taught, "If you gave something up for the Lord, tough it out. Don't act like a Pharisee looking for a loophole." Moreover, an emphasis must be placed on performing spiritual works, like attending the Stations of the Cross, attending Mass, making a weekly holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament, taking time for personal prayer and spiritual reading and most especially making a good confession and receiving sacramental absolution. Although the practices may have evolved over the centuries, the focus remains the same: to repent of sin, to renew our faith and to prepare to celebrate joyfully the mysteries of our salvation.
Saunders, Rev. William. "History of Lent." Arlington Catholic Herald.
This article is reprinted with permission from Arlington Catholic Herald.
The Broadcast Journalism class at Gulfport High School created a "whiteboard video" as a creative way to explain the Academic Institutes of Gulfport High School. This project was student-driven and produced:
Artwork: James Karlson Voiceover: Scott Wedgeworth Script: Flora Dedeaux & James Karlson Video Editing: Flora Dedeaux
Gulfport II PF-20 - History
New Orleans LA and Gulfport MS
Most recent update: June 7, 2019.
Trinity Yachts was started on the site of the former Equitable Shipyards, on France Road, on the west side of the Industrial Canal, in New Orleans, in a wholly enclosed facility within the yard. It was spun off to private interests in 2000. Following the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, Trinity Yachts bought the former Halter Marine yard in Gulfport MS and moved its operation there, installing a 3700-ton Syncrolift that could handle yachts up to 100 meters long. It later reopened the New Orleans facility and in 2013 it moved back there, turning the Gulfport shipyard over to a new entity called, at first, Trinity Offshore, then TY Offshore and later Gulf Coast Shipyard Group: see its construction record here . In 2015, both yards were sold to Harvey Gulf International Marine and renamed Harvey Shipyard Group. Later in 2015, Harvey announced that Trinity Yachts and the New Orleans facility were for sale. See the Gulfport shipyard from the air on Google here and the New Orleans yard here .
History of the Seabees
The Seabees are construction workers fully trained in defending themselves against enemy attack while building the infrastructure to keep the war effort moving.
The drive and ingenuity of these fighting builders allowed the U.S. military to stay a step ahead of the enemy in both World War II Theaters of Operation and were a key factor in securing victory.
The extraordinary contributions of the Seabees led to them becoming a permanent part of the Navy’s fighting forces, building and fighting in every military conflict since their inception. Since WWII, Seabees have been involved in supporting this country in war and in peace.
Seabees were instrumental in the Korean War, Vietnam War, on Diego Garcia, and in the Philippines where they were responsible for building the air station at Cubi Point. They have also played an important role in the modern day war on terror, providing critical and tactical construction support in Iraq and Afghanistan.
When disaster strikes, Seabees are some of the first on the scene. Relief and recovery efforts include Hurricanes Camille, Andrew, George, Mitch, Katrina, Ivan and Maria. They also provided construction support and disaster relief in the wake of the Haiti earthquake. For the last sixty years, detachments of Seabees have also deployed to third world countries around the globe, improving the lives of people in remote areas.
For 38 years, Seabees worked in Antarctica building and operating facilities for the National Science Foundation. A large group of Seabees have worked around the world for the last half century, supporting the State Department at its embassies and consulates, and Seabees are also responsible for the ongoing maintenance of Camp David, the rustic 125-acre mountain retreat of the President of the United States.
In 1941 the War Department approved the site of the present Columbus AFB and training began in 1942. Over 8000 students came through the base, which was then known as Columbus Army Air Field, for pilot training during World War II. The air field was the largest in the southeast at the end of the war. There were four large runways and seven auxiliary fields. At the end of World War II the air field was closed until the Korean conflict began to heat up. The base was reopened in 1951 as a contract flying school with the goal of training 10,000 pilots to help defend South Korea. The Air Force had only recently become a separate military service and was not prepared to train the number of pilots needed so the military contracted with California Eastern Airways to manage the pilot training program. The role of the military was to manage the base and oversee the training program.
Once the Korean war efforts ended, the contract school was disbanded. This did not result in a base closure because the Strategic Air Command (SAC) was just coming into existence. Military leaders felt that the constant threat to SAC bases posed a problem in that they were a major target with all the fighter jets located at known SAC bases. The decision was made to disperse the planes and Columbus AFB was one of the new sites chosen to house the aircraft. Columbus AFB underwent a major expansion effort with new runways being built to accommodate the larger aircraft. At the same time, housing was built for the service members and their families. When the U.S. became involved in the Viet Nam war, Columbus AFB began flying missions over Southeast Asia. In all, 100 flying missions were completed by pilots from Columbus AFB and not one plane was shot down. After the Viet Nam war the base reverted to a training mission only.
Mississippi’s location endows it with a favourable climate for agriculture. The growing season is long (virtually year-round on the coast), precipitation is abundant, and extreme temperatures are unusual. Summers are warm, with daily temperatures typically rising from the upper 60s F (about 20 °C) into the low 90s F (about 33 °C) in July and August. Autumn’s bright, crisp days have the least precipitation and are considered by many to be the most agreeable of the year. Daily temperatures in January generally range from the low 30s F (about 0 °C) to the mid-50s F (about 12 °C). Snowfall is rare but does occur. The state’s annual precipitation averages more than 50 inches (1,270 mm), varying by region. The coastal area is subject to tropical cyclones (hurricanes) from June to October in 2005 the cities of Gulfport and Biloxi were heavily damaged by Hurricane Katrina, one of the strongest Atlantic storms on record.